GETTING TO LSI BY ROAD
The school's postcode is PO1 2AH. The easiest way to get directions from wherever you are coming from is to enter this postcode into Google maps. From here, you can get directions for wherever you are coming from.
There is plenty of parking near to the school - you have to pay though so don't forget to put money in the meter and then the ticket in your car!
GETTING TO LSI BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT
Trains from London:
The nearest train station to the school and accommodation is Portsmouth and Southsea. When arriving in Portsmouth, make sure you get off at this station. Taxis will be waiting outside the station and are safe to use - take one of these to your accommodation. The taxi should cost no more than £5.00-£10.00. The school is only a 5 minute walk from the station.
- There are at least 2 direct trains every hour and the journey takes between 1 hour and a half and 2 hours depending on which train you get.
- A return train ticket from London Waterloo to any of the Portsmouth stations costs between £30 and £40. However, if you book your train tickets in advance, you may be able to find cheaper tickets. Check www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and ticket costs.
- There are at least 2 trains every hour and the journey takes between 1 hour 40 minutes and just over 2 hours depending on which train you get.
- You may need to change trains during your journey.
- The cost for a return train ticket from London Victoria is also approximately £30 to £40, but there are often big discounts if you book your train ticket before you arrive in England. Please check www.nationalrail.co.uk.
From Gatwick Airport:
- There are two trains an hour - one is direct and one has a change. The journey takes around 1 hour 30 minutes.
- A train ticket from Gatwick Airport to Portsmouth & Southsea costs approximately £20. You can check train times ande book tickets at www.nationalrail.co.uk.
- Please be aware, some trains from London sometimes 'split' halfway through the journey. The front part of the train goes to one destination, and the back part of the train goes somewhere else. Please listen to any announcements at the station or on the train. Usually, if you travel in the front four coaches, you will make it safely to Portsmouth! Ask a train conductor if you have any doubt.
From Heathrow Airport:
- Take a bus to Woking train station (they run every 30 minutes).
- From Woking there are trains at least twice an hour taking approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. The train ticket costs approximately £25.
- There is also a direct coach service from Heathrow to Portsmouth which takes around 3 hours 30 minutes. The coach is normally a cheaper way to travel than the train. The tickets costs between £5 and £30 and can be bought from www.nationalexpress.com.
From Southampton Airport:
There are at least two trains an hour from Southampton Parkway station which is very close to the main terminal building (99 steps to be exact!) The train takes just over one hour and costs approximately £10-£20.
You could also take a taxi to Portsmouth which would cost around £30.
You can book trains and coaches at the stations but to get the best price, we recommend booking as early as possible. The website to book train tickets and check times is www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.thetrainline.com.
- Waterloo Station:
STUDENTS BEING MET AT THE AIRPORT BY TAXI
As you come out of the Customs Hall, look for a driver carrying a dark blue signboard showing LSI’s name and logo and your name. There may be many drivers with signboards, so look carefully.
If you cannot see the driver, go to the Airport Information desk in the Arrivals Hall, near the exit from Customs, and ask the staff “Please could you page the driver from LSI Portsmouth, meeting …. (your name)”.
Please wait for 5 minutes, and in the unlikely event that the driver does not appear, please call the following emergency number: 0780 339 2476 (or +44 780 339 2476 if phoning from outside Britain).
If all else fails, take a taxi to your family and we will refund your money in full on the morning of your first day in class.