Learn English in Portsmouth with our General English Course for Adults over 30
Learn English in the south of England with one of the top language schools in the UK! Here at LSI Portsmouth, we offer a range of General English courses exclusively for adults over 30 (average age is 45). The programme is very flexible and consists of core morning classes, which all students have, and then optional afternoon electives so you can choose the course that best suits you, your language needs and your personal preferences. If you can’t choose from our afternoon electives, why not combine the options and do a week of each!
Core (Mornings Only)
Morning Classes of 15 hours per week 1 hour is 60 minutes
- Focus is on all 4 skills: speaking, writing, listening, reading
- Practical grammar
- Communication is key, with plenty of opportunity for practice
- Dynamic and interactive classroom environment
- Authentic materials – newspaper, video and audio recordings
- Constant correction and feedback from your teacher
- All books or materials and included in the fees
Optional Afternoon Electives are:
- Intensive afternoon group classes (additional 10 hours per week in classes of maximum 8 students)
- Business Communication classes (additional 12.5 hours in groups of maximum 4 students)
- Individual one to one lessons (choice of either an extra 10 hours or 5 hours)
- British Culture, History and Portsmouth – Portsmouth has a rich historical and literary tradition so why not discover it in the company of one of our teachers?*
- Free time to enjoy Portsmouth!
*Please note that this option is only available on set dates – please see the dates and fees page for more information*
Please see below for more information on our optional afternoon electives.
Afternoon classes of 10 hours per week – Friday afternoon free.
The content will be an extension of your morning classes but with extra:
• Role plays and discussions
• Tailored functional and theme-based practice, selected from a list of choices
• Practice of everyday situations
• Focus on listening and speaking
• Everyday English to help you in all situations
• Increase confidence and develop fluency
This option is for those who want to improve communicative performance in a wide range of
professional, business and commercial contexts. Students join our Executive Open Groups.
• Students must be lower-intermediate or above
• 12.5 hours in groups of maximum 4 participants
• Focus on communication and intercultural exchange with participants of different nationalities
and commercial backgrounds in the context of professional situations – presentations, meetings,
negotiating, leading an international team, intercultural awareness in working environments
If you want individual attention, you can add 1:1 English lessons to your course in a 5- or 10- hour block:
• Maximise your progress
• Focus on your personal needs
• Preparation for a specific conference or presentation
Portsmouth has a rich historical and literary tradition, so why not discover it in the company of one of our teachers?
You can enjoy our city’s heritage while communicating in English.
Here is a sample of some of the activities you can join:
• Visit one of the best museums in the UK; the Historic Dockyard Museum
• Find out about the Portsmouth literary history – creator of Sherlock Holmes Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Charles Dickens
• Visit a vineyard for tasting, a monastery to experience the life of a monk or enjoy Queen Victoria’s favourite holiday home, Osbourne House
• Discover Roman England and the lasting influences of the Romans today
• Take a boat trip around Portsmouth Harbour, step aboard the Warrior and HMS and Victory or see Henry VIII’s ship, the Mary Rose
• Visit to Portsmouth City Museum and Charles Dickens Birthplace Museum
• Visit the Isle of Wight by hovercraft
• Visit Portchester Castle, one of the most complete Roman Castles to be seen in Europe
Friday afternoons are free. However, we do have social activities organised for most Friday afternoons.
Please be aware that the choice of activities may change subject to weather and availability.
Core (Mornings Only)
Lesson 1 8.45-10.30
Monday Instructions, greetings and exchanging information
Tuesday Discussing schedules, habits and routines
Wednesday Describing experiences: past actions relating to the present
Thursday Expressing needs and obligations
Friday Discussing future plans: forecasting and hypothesising
Lesson 2 10.45-12.00
Monday Making polite requests and clarifying information
Tuesday Describing past routines and habits
Wednesday Describing experiences: comparing similarities and differences
Thursday Making plans and arrangements
Friday Weekly review and consolidation
Intensive Elective Sample Timetable
Lesson 3 1.15 – 2.30 (75 minutes)
Monday Socialising and Entertaining: Ordering meals and drinks
Tuesday Making Complaints: Explaining and apologising
Wednesday Expressing Opinions: Agreeing and disagreeing
Thursday Understanding and using idiomatic phrases and expressions
Friday FREE to discover Portsmouth
Lesson 4 2.45 – 4.00 (75 minutes)
Monday Using YouTube: Food, recipes, etc.
Tuesday Giving advice, suggestions and recommendations
Wednesday Listening and Discussion: The world of work
Thursday Listening and Discussion: Travel, transport and holidays
Friday FREE to discover Portsmouth!
- Core (Mornings Only)
- Minimum English Level: A2/ Elementary
- Minimum age: 30
- Average age: 45
- Maximum class size: 8
- Average class size: 5
- Course Length: Minimum 1 week
During your stay in Portsmouth, you may want to live with a local homestay family, in one of our self-catering residences, or choose to find your own accommodation. We will do everything we can to give you the best option to suit your needs and to help and support you with your living arrangements.
With this course you can choose activities from both the General English social programme and Executive English social programme. Both programmes are full and varied, and includes weekly sporting events, dinner in restaurants and cultural and educational activities. Just some of the after school activities you could take part in include football with our teachers, volleyball, conversation club, afternoon tea, karaoke nights, international parties and visits to local restaurants and pubs. Our social programme is always changing, and is tailored to meet the needs of all students.